Got a phone call from an electrical contractor in the Outer Banks, so I loaded up my truck and headed West. Even though the utility power was on at this residence, the 20 KW KOHLER® Generator was continuously running and wouldn’t shut off.
For some reason, the generator didn’t recognize that there was voltage coming from the utility.
When I arrived, I opened up the door of the transfer switch, and the inside wall of the transfer switch was solid black. My first impression was that it looked like lightening had struck. On closer inspection, I saw that the circuit board was fried and the wiring harness had melted.
So I started taking everything apart. When I took off the board, I saw something stuck to the wall of the transfer switch.
Never Leave Home without a Screwdriver. I took my screw driver and carefully popped off whatever-it-was. Then I realized that the “whatever-it-was” was actually a fried frog with three legs. The fourth leg was melted to the circuit board of the transfer switch.
Frog legs, Anyone? The frog had somehow slipped inside the transfer switch and touched the transfer switch enclosure and the circuit board shorting itself to ground. When he touched both surfaces, the whole thing shorted out, and he went to meet his Maker.
I’ve never seen anything like it. (And I’ve seen a lot of generators from Australia to the UK.)
To get the generator back into working order, I replaced the board and the wiring harness.
I was unable to replace the frog.